The SDI Shore & Beach Diver Course with AMERICAN DIVERS INTERNATIONAL
The purpose of this course is to acquaint a diver with the necessary procedures and knowledge to safely dive from shore. The focus of this specialty must be on how to handle different types of surf and shore conditions. Many great dive sites are accessible form the shore and do not require the use of a boat but do require some basic techniques and information how to execute the dives safely.
Who this course is for:
- The certified diver looking for more information to perform dives proficiently from the shore/beach, various types of entries and exits.
- PADI or SDI Open Water Scuba Diver, PADI or SDI Junior Open Water Diver, or equivalent
- Minimum age 18, 12 with parental consent
What you can expect to learn:
The SDI Shore and Beach Diver Course takes an in-depth look at all of the following and more:
- Dive planning
- Map of shore
- Compass review
- Emergency procedures
- Surface emergencies, no scuba
- Scuba emergencies
- Rescue procedures
- Review of lifesaving skills
- Shore diving procedures
- Navigation aids
- Land marks
- Site assessment
- Special procedures, i.e. keeping the water in fin pockets to wash off feet in sand
- Diving procedures
- Use of the dive flag
- Float handling and line attachment
- Surf zone considerations
- Buddy procedures
- Things to do off the beach
- Underwater collecting and hunting
- Wreck diving
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Site selection
- Dive planning
- Assess current site conditions and potential changes
- Navigation review
- Surf procedure practice
- Compass check and underwater compass use
- Natural navigation check and underwater use of natural navigation techniques
- Float control
- Return to beach
What’s in it for you?
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in diving activities without direct
supervision of the SDI Instructor* so long as the following limits are adhered to:
- The diving activities approximate those of training
- The areas of activities approximate those of training
- Environmental conditions approximate those of training
*Note: Junior divers (ages 10-14) must participate in Hunter/Collector diving activities with a parent, guardian, or dive professional.
SDI Shore/Beach Diver minimum requirements:
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
How to take this course!
- Stop in today or sign up here
This course counts towards your PADI Master Scuba Diver Rating!
Check out our Reef Smart Guides to find the best spots to dive!
No Courses Found